Reflexology has been practiced for thousands of years the world over. In the late 1800’s, doctors began to study in earnest how reflexology might effect the body, and in the 1900’s the process of completely ‘mapping’ the body on the hands and feet was completed.
Today, reflexology is recognized as a natural therapeutic treatment that targets body areas through the pressure to reflexes and nerve endings in the feet, hands, ears, and face. In addition, reflexologists believe that waste products can be dispersed and eliminated with reflexology and that energy blockages are released allowing healing in the body to take place.
Benefits of Reflexology
- It's deeply relaxing and used for relieving stress, tension, and anxiety.
- Revitalizes energy, bringing back vitality and zest for life.
- Detoxifies the body of impurities and toxins.
- Balances the emotions, releasing the negatives and enhancing the positives.
- It can be beneficial for those suffering from depression
- Helps to balance the systems of the body.
- Improves blood and lymph flow.
- Can improve digestive disorders through more efficient absorption of nutrients.
- Can be used to counter kidney and bladder disorders.
- Can be used to reduce the pain in muscles and joints. Sciatica, arthritis, rheumatism, and gout have all been shown to ease with reflexology.
- Has a beneficial effect on the nervous system, and anxiety, insomnia, headaches, migraines, neuralgia, and stress related disorders respond well to reflexology.
- Can be used to treat PMS, as well as other menstrual problems , menopause issues and infertility.
- Has been known to help those suffering from asthma, bronchitis, excessive mucus, and ear/nose/throat problems. Skin problems and allergies have shown to respond well to reflexology.
Different Types of Reflexology
- Is generally a very relaxing and invigorating treatment. There are some 7000 plus nerve endings in the feet and touching these can have a profoundly positive effect on the body. A treatment session will generally last forty five minutes to one hour and can be combined with other treatments such as massage or lymph drainage for enhanced effect.
- Is also very relaxing and can have some added benefits to foot reflexology. It can be carried out anywhere, and practiced on one self. It can be used for treatment in cases of foot fungus or inflammation, or when a client has had a foot amputation. It is also great for clients to self treat in between visits.
- Is a wonderfully relaxing treatment , and used to address headaches and sinus issues . A reflexology ‘facelift’ is non-invasive, and uses no chemicals or surgery. It can be enhanced with a combination treatment of facial reflexology, facial massage, and face and neck lymph drainage.
- Is based on the same points as acupuncture. A safe and relaxing treatment, ear reflexology is great for the musculoskeletal system.